[Please note that some of the entries are very old.*]

Tuesday 7 December 2010

For Real (cont.)

Going for the real thing turned out to be a good idea. It taught me already a good many things:

  • The client wanted “proof” CafeTran could handle Indesign files, but I haven't finished the translation yet. Now in the project folder, there’s a file with the same name as the source file, but with the abbrevation of the target language in it. In my case: Katalog2011_52_104_nl.idml. So I sent the client that file, thinking it would do the trick. It didn’t. The file only contained the source language. It will only show the target language after exporting the project (but see the TIPS). Things turned out to be far easier than I thought. In CT, just go to Translation>Preview Document, and there’s your .idml file with (part of) the target text, again in the same folder.

  • “Add Current Segment to Memory” will take you to the next segment. But I don’t want to add all the numbers of a table to the Memory Database, so in that case I use Control+Option+Right Arrow to go to the next segment. That will take me there without adding the previous one to the database. However, that will not bring up the pre-translation of that next segment. So I use Control+Option+I to insert the next number, followed by Control+Option+Right Arrow again. Until I forgot to insert the number, and went to the next segment anyway. I realised I forgot to insert it, so I went back to correct it. Not necessary. CT inserted the source segment automatically. That saved me a lot of work.

  • I wanted to use superscript. I didn’t know how to do it, so I asked Igor. He claimed that only Word based CAT tools could do that. I checked with DV3, and he seems to be right. No idea how to solve that problem. It reads  “1.” “Tag” in the source text (two segments), and I want “1e dag” in Dutch. Temporary solution: I joined the segments, so I got “1. Tag” in the source language, and translated it with “Dag 1”. Acceptable, but not up to my standards.