[Please note that some of the entries are very old.*]

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Language Codes

After installing the new build of CafeTran a month or so ago, I noticed that importing a TM (in TMX format) in a project was rather slow. And what was worse, lots of source language entries just didn't show up.
I suspected a problem with the language codes, and Igor confirmed it. My main language pair is English - Dutch, and opening the TM in a text editor showed that the source language code occurring in the file was both American English (EN-US) and British English (EN-GB). I used TextWrangler to Find/Replace all instances of EN-GB into EN-US, but any text editor should be able to do the job.

Click to enlarge
This time, all source and target entries showed up in CT, but loading the memory into the project was still slow.
The answer to a question of another user in the CafeTran support forum solved the problem: The code consists of two parts, the language code (English in this case) and the region code (US). And it is case sensitive. Again I had to use TextWrangler, this time enabling the Case Sensitive box. And I repeated this action for nl-NL - my target language - and my other TMs.

Click to enlarge
Problem solved.