[Please note that some of the entries are very old.*]

Sunday 17 April 2011

Proofreading in CafeTran

Usually, I proofread my translations in the final document. The good thing about that, is that you see the text in its final version, the bad thing is that you either have to make the changes in your CAT tool - CafeTran - or end up with databases that don't reflect the final version. In other words, your mistakes will probably show up again in a next translation.
In this case, I had to do the proofing in CT because the final document didn't show all the text. Lots of it was hidden, a known MS Word .docx issue: All .xlm files are equal but MS doesn't stick to the rules, as usual.

So I proofed in CT for the first time. I thought it was a good idea to check the translation in the left-hand panel, rather than in the usual translation pane. So I expanded that part of the UI.
Click to enlarge
If you come across a segment that needs changes, just click on the blue segment number, and you go to the relevant segment and you can make the changes in the translation pane. What surprised me, was that CT apparently automatically propagates the changes. Wonderful!
What I didn't realise, is that the spellchecker doesn't work in the lefthand panel. Not so wonderful, but understandable.
The ideal solution would be to proof in the Preview so you could see all of the context, pictures, diagrams, and so on, whereas the changes made in the Preview are propagated in the Project File and the memory or memories. It may even work that way, but I didn't have the time to give it a try.

On Rosetta, somebody expressed the wish that his CAT tool would offer the possibility to mouse-click terms to re-arrange them. According to him, an extremely useful feature for Japanese/Chinese and similarly constructed languages where Auto-Assemble doesn't really work because of completely different syntactical structures. CT can do it. Even better, if most of your terms are in the database, just double-click them so they appear in the right order. I made a screencast of it, but don't get too excited, it's my first attempt. Next time, I'll try QuickTime instead of Jing. Both methods are free, by the way.