[Please note that some of the entries are very old.*]

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Importing a Glossary I

Importing a database is surprisingly easy. The fact that it took me all day yesterday to achieve it (so no entry yesterday, sorry!), was due to the fact that my 15 MB text file was corrupt. Cafetran stops importing the data at the point of the error. Igor had to create a new cafetran.jar that forced the program to continue importing. So be sure to get the latest CT build when you run into problems when importing. Be sure to use the latest build anyway.

As I mentioned in the previous entry, I converted my TDB into a tab delimited text file. I want to import the data as a glossary, and not as a dictionary, since data in a glossary are readily available, whereas you have to `actively' look up terms in a dictionary. See the handbook for more information.

To import the data:
  • Run Start.jar
  • Go to Library>New resource>Glossary>OK

Click to enlarge

To open the newly created glossary:
  • Go to Library>Glossaries


Open your project if it's not already open, and click Start, OK. Click the new glossary, and you'll see something like this:

Click to enlarge

It works. And it's blistering fast. However, it doesn't work as I intended, but I'll come back to that. The next step will be importing my Lexicon.

Note: CT does not actually import the database. It creates a 4 kB shortcut to the database, *.res, located at .../cafetran/infos/resources/Glossaries

Click to enlarge

So don't move your database to the trash after importing it, nor move it from the current location.